ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR INCLUSION IN A BOOK REVIEW
Details of Publication
- Who wrote the book?
- Does it contain contributions from more than one author?
- Has it been edited?
- Where does/did the author work or teach, and what is known of his/her training/education?
- Did the book grow out of some other project (e.g., a dissertation)?
- When and by whom was the book published?
- Is it part of a series?
- Is it the English translaion of a foreign work?
- What is its suggested retail price?
- How many pages does it have?
- If it is a multivolume work, how many volumes does it include?
- Does it have maps, charts,(color or b/w) photographs, drawings, indices, notes, or bibliography?
Content and Argument
- What is the author's central thesis?
- What are the author's assumptions?
- What is the methodology?
- How is the book organized?
- What are the topics and major points of each of the book's chapters?
- Do you agree with the thesis and the other major points of the
- Do the book's conclusions agree with scholarly opinion as a whole
on the topic? If not, does the book represent one particular segment
or school of scholarly opinion?
- Does the book take advantage of the most recent developments in scholarship on the topic?
- Does the book advance scholarly discussion on the subject?
- What are the book's major weaknesses?
- What are its primary strengths and contributions?
- Are the author's presuppositions, methodology, and approach valid and appropriate?
- Does the author fail to discuss important aspects of the topic?
- Does the book fill a gap in the literature on the topic?
- What issues does it raise?
- For whom was the book written, and what was its purpose? Has it
accomplished this purpose?
- Is the book well-written, easy to read, and interesting?
- How do you rate the quality of the book's binding and printing?
- Are there many typographical errors or other obvious mistakes?
- What is your overall opinion of the book?
- Is it better or worse than others on the topic?
- Can you recommend it to others?
-M. Pat Graham